Custom Home Building Steps: Insulation
At Sunset Homes, one of our primary goals is to provide our clients with as much information as possible about everything related to our custom homes to help make the design and custom building process less daunting. After all, building your dream home should be a joyful process that you can talk about for many years. In our Custom Home Building Steps series, we have learned so far about your custom home foundations, the framing stage, and the mechanical installation.
When learning about the building process, the next step for your new custom home would be the insulation process. At Sunset Homes, we also want to provide you with the best building material options for your new custom home. Insulation is part of the building envelope and has to do with the building materials designed to control and prevent the transmission of sound or heat from one area to another in your Calgary custom home.
Quality of Building Materials and Insulation
When carrying out the insulation installation for your new Calgary custom home, there are many materials to consider. Insulation can be made from bulky fiber materials such as fiberglass, rock and slag wool, cellulose, and natural fibers, to rigid foam boards, polystyrene, and minerals.
- Batt insulation can be made of glass and mineral fibers. This kind is widely used for interior walls, ceilings, and floors. Its main advantage is that this kind of insulation is relatively non-combustible.
- Loose-fill insulation can be made of glass fibre, mineral fibre, and cellulose fibre. This kind can be used in attics.
- Boardstock insulation includes several types of rigid and semi-rigid kinds. They can be made of Expanded Polystyrene (EPS), Extruded Polystyrene (XPS), Semi-rigid glass or mineral fibre, and Polyisocyanurate (polyurethanes). Their main advantage is that they provide air and moisture resistance and protection against ultraviolet rays.
- Spray-type insulation can be made of cellulose and polyurethane foam. This kind is water repellent but vapour permeable, and they cover cavities and reduce air leakage.
- Radiant barrier insulation consists of a reflective material installed between a heat-radiating surface. This kind is usually used in attics and ceilings to reduce cooling loads in summer.
In the same way, the quality of your building materials is essential when building an infill home, it is also essential to choose an experienced Calgary custom home builder. The quality of the insulation in your new custom home will depend on the material used and the installation procedures.
Want to learn more about insulation for your new home and how to choose other quality building materials? Contact Sunset Homes today! We will prepare a free quote and give you more information about our modern custom homes and major renovations.
Too Long Didn’t Read (TLDR)
Insulation has to do with the building materials designed to control sound or heat transmission in your Calgary custom home. It can be made from several kinds of materials, and the quality depends on the material selection and the insulation procedure followed by the custom home builder.